Suggested wine: McManis Family Vineyards Chardonnay
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10 oz.) chicken soup with rice
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (7 oz.) white meat tuna
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pimiento, chopped (if desired)
- Cheese Swirls:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup American cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, chopped
- Dash cayenne
Melt margarine in pan. Add chopped green pepper and onion. Cook slowly until tender. Add salt, pepper and flour. Add chicken soup gradually, stirring constantly. Add milk and stir until thick and smooth. Add tuna and lemon juice (and pimiento). Pour into a good sized casserole. Cover with Cheese Swirls.
In a mixing bowl, sift flour, measure. Sift flour together with Clabber Girl Baking Powder and salt. Cut in shortening. Add milk and mix lightly with a fork. Roll into rectangular shape. Sprinkle with grated cheese, chopped pimiento and a dash of cayenne. Roll like a jelly roll. Cut in slices and place over creamed tuna. Bake as instructed below.
Bake at 425° F for 25 minutes.
Note: If you have prepared the creamed tuna ahead and it is stored in the refrigerator, be sure it is warmed before putting Cheese Swirls on top. Otherwise the bottoms of the biscuits will be underdone.
From the Clabber Girl Recipe Book