Watertown— As the North Country gets buried in heavy snow; folks are having to take out their shovels. However, if you are not careful, you can seriously injure your back.
Doctor Mark Spaulding, Chiropractor and owner of Spaulding Chiropractic explained how there is a wrong and right way to shoveling snow. “People can injure themselves shoveling snow. Especially if they twist the wrong way or attempt to move too quickly”, said Doctor Spaulding.
According to Doctor Spaulding, there are some simple tips you can follow to prevent back injuries:
· Stretch before you do anything physical or labor intensive.
· Don’t try to move too quickly.
· When shoveling snow take short movements.
· Do not hunch over and attempt to carry too much snow or anything that is too heavy.
· If you do have a back injury, use a back brace.
· See a Chiropractor or your primary care physician if you think you’ve injured your back.